- Policy Issues
- For the Media
- In the Classroom
- Know Nuclear
- About the Center
QUIZ IV: FISSION AND CHAIN REACTIONS
2. fissionable isotope
3. fission products
6. chain reaction
1. The splitting of an atomic nucleus is called fission.
2. An isotope that has a nucleus that can be split is said to be a fissionable isotope
3. When a uranium nucleus fissions, it splits into lighter nuclei which we call fission products.
4. During the fission process the uranium-235 nucleus will also shoot out neutrons which will strike other uranium-235 nuclei.
5. The slowing down and stopping of the fast-moving fission products produces heat energy.
6. The process of continuing fissioning of atoms is called a chain reaction.
7. Because uranim-238 can be transformed into plutonium-239 when it absorbs a neutron, it is called a fertile isotope.
There have been many famous scientists and discoverers in nuclear history. Here is a brief history of those who have paved the way.Learn More
Center for Nuclear Science and Technology Information of the American Nuclear Society
© Copyright 2016-2017